Welcome back everyone! Today we are going to talk about the POWER OF pH! Your acidity levels can affect SO many factors of your body’s health–from digestive issues to degenerative diseases. As we age, our pH tends to decrease, causing a slew of issues. HOW CAN YOU FIX IT? There are diet and lifestyle factors that can have a play in your pH, and you have the power to control it through upping alkaline-based foods (fruits and vegetables) and lowering stressors such as alcohol and pharmaceutical drugs. Stop by and get your pH tested!
In this Episode….
What is pH?
pH is the scale used to specify how acidic or basic a water-based solution is. Acid lowers the pH whereas basic raises pH. Room temperature water is neither acidic nor basic, it is neutral with a 7pH. The scale ranges from 0 to 14.
The pH scale is used in common settings, such as when you have a pool or hot tub and use the strips to know whether or not to add chlorine or bromine. Just as your pool needs to be balanced, your body needs internal balance as well.
Why is a Healthy pH important?
Must be at a certain level for living organisms to survive. For example, stomach acids tend to be at a certain pH to work properly. Human life requires a 7.4 (slightly alkaline) level in the serum to survive and be healthy.
When Alkaline- body converts free radicals to harmless water and oxygen
- Cells are in homeostasis
- Cells receive proper nourishment
- Cells can release waste with ease
- Healthy inflammatory response
- Stronger immunity
- Good bone density
When acidic- cells inner environment becomes toxic
- Higher levels of free radicals which cause more inflammation, leading to chronic inflammation
- Strain is put on digestive system, liver, kidney
- Weak immune system—harder to fight off viruses and bacterias
- Bone loss
- Unhealthy cellular environment, higher chance of pathogen growth and cancer
How do we become acidic?
- Diet- the foods that we eat on a regular basis (dairy, meats, trans fats, cooked oils, baked goods, refined sugars, coffee, carbonated drinks) can increase acid levels
- Lifestyle factors such as stress, pharmaceutical drugs, alcohol, and stimulants can all lead to acid buildup in the body.
- Age- as we get older, our bodies accumulate acid wastes. Research published in the Journal of Gerontology shows alkaline reserves remain constant until 40 years of age. After 40, these reserves decrease severely. This can lead to degenerative diseases sycg as obesity, diabetes, heart disease, osteoporosis, high blood pressure, and more. Researchers conclude that the “accumulation of acid and reduction of the alkaline state as we age and eating the standard American diet causes age-related metabolic acidosis, which further causes degenerative diseases.”
How to Test:
Saliva Test with litmas paper strips can be found at the pharmacy (we have some here if you want to get tested at your next appt!) With the strip of litmas paper, you dip into a spoon with your saliva or directly into mouth for 1-2 seconds. After this, it will take about 10 seconds to change colors, and then with a pH color chart, you compare your strip to that of the chart. Record this number and it is best to test a few times a week for two weeks.
Each point is a multiple of 10, 10x more acidic! For example, coffee has a pH of 4 and soda a pH of 2—when your body should remain at 7.4!
How to Fix Your pH?
1. DIET- healthy cells thrive on an alkaline, 02 rich, plant based diet, whereas unhealthy cells, bacterias, and viruses HATE oxygen! An increase in 02 directly equals an increase in HEALTH.
a. Acidic food removal- pasteurized dairy products, meats, trans fats, cooked oils, baked goods, refined sugars, coffee, carbonated drinks
b. Alkaline food additions- plant based green foods such as barley grass, chlorella, spirulina, veggies (carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, parsley, kale), fruits ( blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, plums, pears, etc)
2. LIFESTYLE FACTORS- decrease stress, pharmaceutical drugs, and alcohol.
3. GREEN DRINK SUPPLEMENT-
- Superfoods, complex carbohydrates, alkaline protein, and vegetable based healthy omega oils help quench free radicals, decrease inflammation, alkalize surrounding tissue, and provide a proper acid/alkaline balance.
- A green drink supplement helps fulfill the recommended 7-13 servings of fruits/ vegetables
- Chlorophyll helps plants absorb light. Molecular structure of chlorophyll is similar to hemoglobin, a substance of red blood cells that help transport oxygen. Chlorophyll helps your blood deliver 02 throughout the body, creating stronger cells, and healthier blood!
- Greensfirst is filled with certified organic fruits and vegetables that. Have been juiced, then spray dried at low temperatures to retain nutrients and live enzymes. There are 15 servings of fruits and vegetables in ONE SCOOP!